Monday, March 15, 2010

Fort Meigs


BlockHouseSmall.jpgToday we had a marvelous day with the guide Dan who interpreted the War of 1812. We explored what it was to be like as a soldier here in the wilderness of NW Ohio. Fort Meigs was our stop of the day. Dan was our tour interpreter who did a superb job! The experience was also to educate students about war in Northwest Ohio. Today we saw a real treasure of history and were able, due to Dan's generosity, touch and hold some history. What was life like in the fort? Would you have wanted to be a soldier in the fort? Fort Map A22.jpgConsidering that Perrysburg was a thriving city at the time the Black Swamp was being settled, why would people want to settle the swamp? What was the driving force that compelled them to sacrifice so much to become farmers and businessmen in the very dangerous Black Swamp?
permission granted from Fort Meigs' staff to use their website pictures and info. Thanks Dan!

3 comments:

  1. I think that the life in the fort was dangerous ,but if you look at the place you find it really strategic place ,so anyone who control the place he can control all area that's why they sacrifice so much .If i was they so i would like be a soldier to protect my nation .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, I did not go to the fort , but I would love to see it. I saw the photo's on the website and they looked really cool. So my point of view is that I want to be a soldier in this fort.
    People want to settle in the swamp because it's a very fertile place, I might take some time to settle there, but it will pay off in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't visit the fort, but I liked the photos on the website. I had been in army for two years to protect my country against the North Korea. So I think I had some experiences similiar with that time(1812) even though those situations were different from the present situation. Anyway I really don't want to go back to the Army Life.(It was horrible..)

    ReplyDelete